Diet soda: A healthy alternative to regular?
Most people think that since diet soda has no sugar and no calories, it must be better for you than regular, sugar-packed soda. Unfortunately, this couldn’t be further from the truth. Although the diet stuff will save you on a couple hundred empty calories short-term, the long-term negative health effects of the artificial sweeteners and other chemicals used in diet are far worse…
- Kidney problems. In a Harvard Medical school study of 3,000 women over 11 years showed a 2 fold increase in kidney decline. This is not shown to be a problem with those who drink regular.
- Cell damage. Diet sodas contain mold inhibitors like sodium benzoate and potassium benzoate. These chemicals cause severe damage to DNA. These chemicals are not found in regular.
- Reproductive issues. Cans are coated with BPA which is an endocrine disruptor.
- Increased risk of osteoporosis. This is mainly due to the acidic pH of diet soda. The lower the number, the more acidic something is. The pH of diet soda is 3.2, the pH of battery acid is 1, the pH of water is 7… In addition, caffeine blocks the absorption of calcium.
- Higher risk of metabolic syndrome, obesity, and increased belly fat was shown in a study of 10,000 adults at the University of Minnesota. Artificial sweeteners disrupt the body’s natural ability to regulate caloric intake based on the sweetness of foods. Despite prior belief that artificial sweeteners have no effect on insulin, this has been found to be false. It triggers insulin release, which increases the appetite leading a person to over-eat, AND signals the body to store more fat…Yikes!
- A study at the American Acadamy of Neurology found a link between diet soda consumption and depression.
- The acidic pH of diet soda causes rapid erosion of tooth enamel, inviting cavities and costly dental work.
Let’s talk about artificial sweeteners specifically…
- One of the components of aspartame is methyl alcohol. When digested this is converted to formaldehyde, a deadly neurotoxin.
- Aspartame contains the amino acidphenylalanine, which occurs naturally in the brain. However at high levels it can cause seizures, lead to depression, and even schizophrenia.
- Aspartame has been shown to make many chronic conditions worse. These conditions include brain tumors, epilepsy, Parkinson’s, diabetes, fibromyalgia, and lymphoma.
- Aspartame is linked to irritability, insomnia, anxiety, memory loss, joint pain, and migraines.
- Splenda contains heavy metals, methanol, and arsenic. These poisons cause organ, reproductive, and immune system damage, genetic mutations, and swelling of the liver and kidneys. Splendid!
Healthy alternatives to soda
WATER! Water doesn’t have to be boring. Try freezing cubes of fruit like cantaloupe or pineapple, and use them as ice cubes to give water a delicious flavor. If you crave something bubbly, try sparkling water with a lemon or lime slice. And if you enjoy an occasional cocktail, try using fresh squeezed fruit juice instead of soda as a mixer.
Ditch diet sodas to FEEL AND LOOK BETTER!!!