Most store-bought broths and stocks have a shocking amount of sodium, MSG, and other unwanted chemicals or preservatives. And the ones that don’t are expensive. Don’t pay those prices – to your body, or to your wallet! Making Homemade Chicken Stock or bone broth is very easy, nutritious, and so versatile. You can use homemade chicken stock for soups, stews, in place of water for rice or pasta, or even just a hot calcium-rich drink.
- 3-4 pounds of organic chicken pieces: carcass(es), bones, liver, heart, etc.
- 2 organic celery stalks, chopped
- 4 organic carrots, chopped
- 1 organic white onion, halved
- 2 organic garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 10 cups cold water
- Place all ingredients in a large pot.
- Cover, and simmer on low heat for at least one hour. The longer it simmers, the more minerals and calcium will be released from the bones into the stock. If possible, simmer your homemade chicken stock all day: )
- Remove from heat, and let the stock cool for 1 hour, leaving the bones and veggies in the mixture.
- Drain the stock, discarding the bones and veggies.
- Refrigerate. Use within 7 days, or freeze.